> On Apr 2, 2020, at 10:16 AM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:
>

> Hi! Some ideas regarding the possibility to use native
> Mac tools for your RX580 graphics card BIOS update task:
>
> http://blog.greggant.com/posts/2018/05/07/definitive-mac-pro-upgrade-guide.html#efi-flashable
>
> https://www.reddit.com/r/macpro/comments/al3kk2/flash_rx_580_to_show_boot_screen/
>
> Apparently ATI / AMD is not very helpful, but
> maybe you get some ideas from those forums :-)

I’ll check those out.

>> There is no boot screen with the rx580, which is why
>> I need to flash the firmware on it.
>
> Why do you need a boot screen? That sounds like
> some very low priority moment to have graphics?

I need the boot screen to be able to boot from the Freedos Disk, otherwise the
computer will boot directly into the startup disk.

>> I got freedos to boot from the disk, and  got ATIFlash
>> running, but it’s only seeing the original card.
>
> Does that mean you booted FreeDOS on the raw
> hardware of the Mac? How have you managed to
> do that? And what does original card mean, do
> you have TWO graphics cards? Why not remove
> the non-ATI while you do that BIOS update??
>
> And actually why is having a boot screen on
> the non-ATI card not sufficient for you? ;-)

I booted to Freedos via an CD.  Have to access the bootable cd via the boot
screen by holding down the option key on start up.      If you don’t hold down
the option key, it just boots into which ever OS is set as your startup disk.

Yes , I have 2 graphics cards,  the stock ATI card that came with the Mac Pro,
and rx580.   The goal
Is to remove the stock ATI card, but I need the boot screen to access the
bootable cd.    I haven’t found a way to execute the bootable cd from within
MacOS or Windows.

They are both ATI card.     I swap between Mac OS and windows often and having
the boot screen is the easiest way to do so.  The RX580 stock does not have the
boot screen EFI, which is why I am trying to flash it to do so.

> In case you prefer another language then English
> and this is why your mails often feature extremely
> short descriptions of the situation: Please write
> in your native language, by exception. There are
> people speaking various languages on this list so
> you may be understood better than in English :-)
>
> Thank you! Regards, Eric

I think I’ve been pretty clear about what’s going on.  Thanks for assuming
English is my second language.