Basically that's because Mac OS contains a hardware abstraction layer which
separates the updater you're trying to run (and VMWare itself, for that matter)
from the actual hardware you're running. It would be best to add the files
you're tying to use to a bootable FreeDOS CD, then boot from that to flash the
firmware. In that manner the main OS will not be standing gatekeeper and
blocking your path.