On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 11:46 PM Karen Lewellen
<klewel...@shellworld.net> wrote:

> It  appears that the edition of info zip's zip and unzip programs are not
> current, from 2008 and 2009, according to my google.
> Unfortunately sourceforge no longer lets you download from there without
> JavaScript,  these days.
> So my goal is the most current edition, which does not seem to be what you
> provide at the freedos site?

You probably don't *care*.  I don't believe any updates made after
2009 affect the DOS versions.  InfoZip is *very* mature technology,
and updates past what the FreeDOS site has are almost certainly for
Windows and Linux ports.  (I just browsed current issues and patches.
All are for Linux, POSIX, or Win64.)  I suspect no patches that would
affect use on DOS were in the older versions you found.   DOS has been
dead for 25 years.  Patches only happen when someone reports a bug and
someone else is motivated to create a fix. Given how long it has been
since DOS ceased to be a widely used OS, I'd be startled if anyone
actually found a bug in more than 20 years that *required* a fix.

If you really want to be that fussy about " current" editions, you
bite the bullet, install a version of Linux that will work on your
hardware, and run DOS applications using DOSBox or DOSEmu.

But the underlying issue you reported still exists.  You have Zip
archives that return errors when you try to open them with PKUNZIP.
Where did they come from?  Did you get them from elsewhere or create
them yourself?  If you created them yourself, where are they stored?
(Please tell me it isn't on floppy disks.)  Switching to Infop-ZIP
isn't likely to magically fix the problem if the archives are
damaged..

If you really need to get at the contents of those archives, you'll
need to use a tool that can try to repair damaged archives.  It's been
a while since I've used it, but foggy memory says archive repair was
not something the Info-Zip packages offered.  I believe DOS versions
of 7-zip do offer repair
capabilities.

> Karen
______