My reply is at the bottom.  Please put your reply there too.
On Thu, 8 Oct 2020, Joao Silva wrote:
On Thu, Oct 8, 2020 at 1:10 PM E. Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:

      Hi everybody,

      > I don't need the actual floppies - but I'd love to have a
      photo of
      > them.

      Interesting thought :-) Might take a moment, but good idea. I
      also like
      the hard blue plastic boxes in which Inmac sold the floppies.

      In the meantime, my offer has grown by 20 small 3.5 inch
      diskettes, as
      well as various storage boxes for big and small diskettes.
      Actually one
      can use those for 5.25 inch diskettes to organize CD or DVD, in
      case
      some of you likes a bit of a retro touch :-)

      Also, I have another nostalgia problem: After making copies of a
      few
      relevant pages, I think I should finally get rid of my German
      MS-DOS
      4.01 and Windows 3.1 handbooks. Any good ideas for ritual
      destruction?
      Or is anybody still interested in that old stuff? ;-)

      Harald, thank you for your offer to extract data from my CP/M
      floppies!

      Going through the link list from Rugxulo, I found out that both
      cpmtools
      and 22DISK offer dozens of possible formats, but to my surprise,
      none
      of them seemed to work?? However, *AnaDisk* is able to check
      which types
      and numbers of sectors exist on each track of a floppy and
      assuming that
      using Win98 as host OS was acceptable, it manages to extract a
      confusing
      pile of sectors from each of the CP/M floppies. I still have to
      figure
      out whether there is sense in that data or whether I should
      rather seek
      help from Harald and his special hardware. For now, I will pause
      attempts
      to extract the floppy contents more thoroughly until new ideas
      pop up or
      until I find out that AnaDisk missed too much of the contents.
      Apparently
      the floppies were 40x8x1 or 40x8x2 with 512 bytes per sector,
      often with
      some un-numbered sectors here and sectors with data errors
      there? While
      almost all MS DOS formatted floppies still worked well - after
      35 years!

      At the risk of only being able to read, but not reliably write
      or format
      360k disks in the future, I still plan to *throw away* my 360k
      drive and
      keep only the 1200k drive (just in a drawer). Nobody seemed to
      want the
      360k drive or my second 1200k drive yet ;-)

      Cheers, Eric

      PS: I also still have the original MS-DOS 4.01 floppies, but
      prefer to
      use the original MS-DOS 5.00 diskettes in 3.5 inch in case any
      need for
      any MS-DOS should ever arise again in the future. And there is
      Win 3.1!

Hello!

Why destroy the manuals?

You can give them to some Institution for preservation, they are a piece of
computer history or you can frame them and put on the wall of your office.

Yes! Please send them somewhere to be scanned and OCRed! Get in touch with Al Kossow of the Computer History Museum in Sunnyvale CA. See http://www.bitsavers.org/ and http://www.bitsavers.org/.

--
David Griffith
d...@661.org