Hi Jamie!

> On Dec 6, 2020, at 2:30 PM, Eric Auer <e.a...@jpberlin.de> wrote:
>

> Hi and welcome Jamie!
>
>> Interestingly enough 1.3rc reports the version as 7.10
>
> That is the level of our MS DOS compatibility, in this
> case Windows 98 style DOS with FAT32 support and, if you
> load the right drivers, long file name support.
>
> If you request the OEM number with int 21 function 3000,
> BH will be FD like FreeDOS. You also get CX=0 and BL=the
> kernel revision (last two digits) from int 21 function 30,
> for example 39 for kernel generation 2039.
>
> As FreeDOS specific extension of the system data area
> list of lists (use int 21 function 52 to get a pointer)
> you can read internal and setver-able DOS version, the
> revision number and a pointer to the version string.
>
> Note that FreeDOS 1.3 is the version of the distro, not
> of the kernel - similar things apply for Linux distros.
>
> An easy method to get the FreeDOS release string is
> int 21 function 33ff, which returns a pointer in DX:AX.
> Function 33fc can set the setver DOS version.
>
> Cheers, Eric

Yup, what he said… :-)

If for some reason you actually need the release version number,
starting with FreeDOS 1.2, under the %DOSDIR% the installer
creates a VERSION.FDI file that contains that information.

This assumes the user did not delete this file. Also, the
boot configuration file (FDAUTO.BAT) sets an environment
variable %OS_VERSION%. Which also assumes the
user does not remove it.

At present, there is no guaranteed method to get the
“distro” release version. For the most part, it doesn’t matter
all that much what “distro” release a user is running anyway.

:-)

Jerome