That presentation is really great! :-)
Simon

------ Pôvodná správa ------
Od: "Jim Hall" <jh...@freedos.org>
Komu: "Discussion and general questions about FreeDOS." <freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net>
Odoslané: 4. 2. 2021 23:13:11
Predmet: Re: [Freedos-user] FYI: I'm speaking at FOSDEM'21 this weekend

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 3:44 PM Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 4, 2021 at 3:21 PM tom ehlert <t...@drivesnapshot.de> wrote:
> (and a future "2.0" someday).

I am a bit surprised by this. any news that we all are not aware of?

Same as I've said before in the email lists, and elsewhere:

I want to get "1.3" finally wrapped up, and I'd like to have a "2.0" someday. The NightDOS folks are working on their updated kernel - if they can get it working and still runs all 16-bit DOS applications, then we could include that as an alternative kernel for people who (a) have a more modern system, and (b) opt-in to use it.**

And there are other "like to have" things that would be great to have in a FreeDOS "2.0" like an alternative DOS command.com shell. I described that here long ago, and on the blog - would love to have an expanded command.com that uses a BASIC-like syntax but still maintains compatibility with DOS BAT files. At the time, you pointed out that Windows command.com did something similar to what I proposed - but I don't use Windows so I wasn't aware of that.

And "2.0" still needs to be "DOS" so needs to support all 16-bit DOS applications. And I would want FreeDOS to remain a command-line operating system.

So, no surprises to anyone on this list.

Jim

** But, NightDOS is a long way from being able to do that. The goals of NightDOS are pretty lofty, so they have a lot of work here. I think it will be a while before we see that.

My presentation is pre-recorded, and I've uploaded a copy to the FreeDOS YouTube channel (will go "live" after my presentation on Sunday).

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/uP77xJA8-4k

* 0 to 12 min : my history + some DOS history
* 12 min to 27 min : FreeDOS up until "now"
* 27 min to 41 min : FreeDOS 1.3
* 41 min to end : FreeDOS "2.0" wish list