Hi, forwarding a verbose update of the review from Laaca on BTTR :-)

My summary: Better LFN, faster disk I/O, problem of opening many small
files on CD being slow (how about using more CACHE, Jerome? Maybe even
with read-ahead or similar speed tricks?), problem of the Live CD not
having apps pre-installed (it has to unzip them first), problem of the
Live CD having too few apps available, lack of progress/status info,
lack of analysis of existing system structure before install, lack
(?) of ability to select install size (base, full etc.), lack of a
mechanism to dual-boot on FAT (you know my opinion about that),
lack of "what has been done where" summary log on the target drive,
wish that running "help" should initially display an introduction
or readme about what can be found where on the installed system,
lack of utilities for manual installs and repairs in the live cd,
wish for image viewer and mpxplay on live cd and default install,
wish to add image editors, wish for descript.ion or similar method
to let people know what zip contains what in the on-CD repository,
wish to have separate directories for apps which are multiple files?

The original update from Laaca on BTTR is below. Regards, Eric

Source: https://www.bttr-software.de/forum/forum_entry.php?id=17804

Well, I wrote quite crititical review about FreeDOS 1.3rc. It was
reposted into FreeDOS user forum and was few times commented and it is
of course commented also here.
Just to be clear - I don't complain about DOS as such but specificaly
about FreeDOS 1.3rc and mainly about installer.
I will try to summarize my criticism into several categories:
1) Missing DOS/FreeDOS features
2) FreeDOS live system from CD
3) FreeDOS installation
4) Help system
5) Packages

ad 1) Here is not much to say. I miss some feature in modern DOS system
but it is not fault of the FreeDOS community. I would like to see a
better LFN driver, better disk read/write/seek performance (much worse
than f.e. under Win98). We do not have a good ASPI driver we do not have
a good task switcher and so on and so on. But again, this is not the
point of my criticism.

ad 2) Why the booting starts with unzipping of many basic utilities like
ATTRIB.ZIP, FORMAT.ZIP, COMP.ZIP and so on. Why it just does not unzip
something like BASE.ZIP which would contain all this basic utilities?
You forgot how slow is the file seeking on the CD on the real hardware?
Sure, the contiuous read is fast on most of CD drives but seeking and
opening the large amount of small files is a pain.
And after this we have only very bare system with only few
applications/utilities. It is much worse than very ancient Live CD of
FreeDOS 0.9a which I have and occasionaly use (although it is also a
.BAT files complicated mess). In 0.9 it ended in rather primitive menu
system but working system which allowed many tasks. Even much better is
Hiren boot CD. I heard that it is based on Linux or Windows. But I have
a completely different experience. I have a older version (Hiren 9.5?)
which is DOS based. The boot proces ends in quite nice menu sorted into
categories and subcategories which instantly allow quite wide spectrum
of useful things what to do in DOS.

ad 3) Installer should be generaly much more user friendly and should
inform a user about the process. It would be nice if it could perform a
system scan in the begining and resume the system from point of view of
DOS compatibility.
Like "Warning, no IDE/ATAPI interface, optical drives will not work" or
"Your processor does not support a 32-bit protected mode - the install
set will be adjusted for it".
In case when some existing disk partitions are present it should offer
the installation of boot manager (preferably BootMGR by BTTR software).
FDisk should be replaced by some better alternative.
Also - the user should be prompted to choose a variant of installation
(very basic, extended, full) and also a list of desired applications via
a expandable list for custom modifications of the options above.
I like the point that current installer creates a multi configuration
FDCONFIG.SYS. It is important because on the tested notebook (Dell
Latitude 610) the first two options did not work for me and only the
other options were working.
And finally - after the installation must be displayed (and also saved
into some protocol file) some summarization of whole process.

ad 4) Help system must be totaly reworked. After writing "help" should
be displayed some overview like:
* FreeDOS core files and installed into C:\ and C:\FDOS\BIN. Other
available disks are: .....
* For your convience are prepared these BAT scripts
- for filemanager write "dz"
- for system info write "sysinfo"
- for more info about applications in C:\EDITORS write "help editors"
- for more info about applications in C:\SOUND\ write "help sound"
- for more info about DOS core utils and DOS batch language write "help dos"

ad 5) In harddisk mode and live CD mode must be easily available
utilities for system informations, disk/file recovery utilities, BIOS
tools and so on. Because it is still a traditional playfield for DOS
systems.
Also some picture viewer and converter should be available even in the
basic installations. Mpxplay also could be also in basic installations.
It is also wise to have a special C:\KOMP\ directory (listed in PATH
variable) where are all file archivers like ZIPINFO, UNRAR, 7ZIP,....
I like the quite rich \UTIL\ directory on the installation CD but it
must be somehow sorted. Idealy combined with something like DESCRIPT.ION
files.
There must be some discussion which programs are missing (some painting
programs like GrafX, PictView, SEA?...). And maybe some programs could
be removed from distro? (B64?)
Very controversal point is the mania to install all applications into
universal directories like \BIN\, \APPINFO\ etc.
If everything will be installed into C:\BIN, terrible mess will happen