Eric:

As you had suggested, on the FreeDOS PC, in C:\MSNET\ I entered "start".
Then I could ping from that PC to my printer, Ubuntu PC and Ubuntu laptop.

Cool! Thanks for creating the network zip :-) What is
in that start bat file and which packages with which
licenses are required to make this become a reality?

{REM set PATH=C:\MSNET;%PATH%

REM   Uncomment the following line if you want mTCP enabled as well,
REM   under the MS Network Client environment. See also system.ini,
REM   one line there is relevant as well (to load the packet driver shim.)
REM set MTCPCFG=C:\mtcpapps\mtcp.cfg
REM   Then, either CD into C:\mtcpapps, or add that directory to your path.
REM   And, you probably need to run the DHCP.EXE to initialize mTCP.

devload /H IFSHLP.SYS
REM pause

net initialize
REM pause