I don't know if this is really a protection mechanism.

BTW: about Bar code for music CD:
https://barcodeinfo.org/barcodes-for-music-cds/

I was just not aware myself about this.

First time I tried 1.3 RC4 live on VirtualBox today, after installation (had
chosen, base with sources), config=2,

fdimples was not finding the CD media. I thought how weird no one had reported
it... retry 2 or 3 times... was not

able to reproduce yet.

but even if the CD works, there is an error:

BAD Controller at I-O address D000h, chip I.D. 808667111h

[to me there seems to be an unexpected 1 at the end, not a typo]

[used right-ctrl P to pause to have time to read it]

Other have reported a relatively similar message on QEMU:

BAD Controller at I-O address C040h, Chip I.D. 80867010h.

from: https://sourceforge.net/p/freedos/mailman/message/36465212/

https://www.grc.com/dev/sr6/UDMA_Drivers/README.TXT

says: "Some BIOS programs do not 'configure' a mainboard controller if no user
   drives are found!     An unconfigured controller causes UIDE to display
   "BAD controller", then it goes on looking for others to use."

so maybe it is relatively normal.