On 12/10/2021 22:49, E. Auer wrote:
So at the risk of repeating the obvious: While it is possible to
construct some problems to justify your desired powerful solution,
this feels extremely over-designed from my view as Non-US DOS user.

As far as I understand, this is not about designing some new solution to a possibly rare situation. This is about mimicking what MS did already 40 years ago... Isn't that the primary objective of FreeDOS?

If you want to address a REAL problem in FreeDOS

I do not think that anyone wants to address any problems in this discussion. The whole thing started merely as an explanation why MKEYB is not a fit replacement for FD-KEYB. While it may be a nice, tiny tool that covers 90+% of cases, it simply lacks more advanced features (dynamic codepage-mapping logic). And that's fine, choice is good.

Now, about "real" problems: it's highly subjective. You may find the 2GB-limit thing to be a problem - I don't. I'd say that if there's is one problem with FreeDOS to pick up, it is COMMAND.COM's memory footprint: it is *huge*. On my current setup, COMMAND.COM takes up 76K of RAM. That's 30% of the total memory on this machine... MS-DOS has the ability to swap out COMMAND.COM at runtime, so it takes roughly 5K (as per MEM/C output).

Mateusz