Hallo Herr Mateusz Viste,

am Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 2021 um 09:15 schrieben Sie:

> On 12/10/2021 22:49, E. Auer wrote:
>> So at the risk of repeating the obvious: While it is possible to
>> construct some problems to justify your desired powerful solution,
>> this feels extremely over-designed from my view as Non-US DOS user.

> As far as I understand, this is not about designing some new solution to
> a possibly rare situation. This is about mimicking what MS did already
> 40 years ago... Isn't that the primary objective of FreeDOS?

I'm 100% certain that MSDOS didn't generate € characters in any
codepage. this should end the story of €'s.

>> If you want to address a REAL problem in FreeDOS

> Now, about "real" problems: it's highly subjective. You may find the
> 2GB-limit thing to be a problem - I don't. I'd say that if there's is
> one problem with FreeDOS to pick up, it is COMMAND.COM's memory
> footprint: it is *huge*. On my current setup, COMMAND.COM takes up 76K
> of RAM. That's 30% of the total memory on this machine... MS-DOS has the
> ability to swap out COMMAND.COM at runtime, so it takes roughly 5K (as
> per MEM/C output).

1'st: 'problems' is the plural of problem. 1 person running a single
museum 256K computer and insisting on using a 21'st century OS is
still just 1 problem.

2'nd: your machine is perfectly fine with the software that it came
with: MSDOS 1.0 or maybe 2.x

3'd: use the non-XMS-SWAP version of FreeCOM. it does exist, and is
supposed to swap to/from disk (I never tried). case dismissed.

Tom