> Small primary FAT16 partition with FreeDOS. Bigger primary FAT32
> partition with Win9x. Then an extended partition, with some logical
> drives in it, which will be visible to both.

Even in Virtual machines, I always set up very small "boot drive" (usually only
a few MB) as C:.  It only contains the things required to boot and a few basic
utilities (including a simple text editor).  All of the useful programs are on
a separate drive (usually D:, but it depends on the specific environment).
That way I only need to manage one copy of all the programs and can use them
consistently no matter how DOS booted.

The problem with this approach is that the programs are almost never on C:, and
they may not be on D: either.  The way I manage that is to set myself up an S:
("System") drive which is where the programs are located.  I use whatever tools
I have available in the DOS I'm using to do that (usually SUBST or SWSUBST, but
e.g. in DOSBox I need to use MOUNT).  I have the programs and batch files set
up to assume S: instead of C: for the default drive.

That's probably too complicated of a setup for most people, but is how I do it.