On Sat, 12 Feb 2022 at 00:28, Bret Johnson <bretj...@juno.com> wrote:

> Even in Virtual machines, I always set up very small "boot drive" (usually
> only a few MB) as C:.  It only contains the things required to boot and a few
> basic utilities (including a simple text editor).

Yep, when I was putting in Windows NT boxes on customers' networks,
that's what I did too. Handy for BIOS reflashing, emergency recovery
and so on. I usually tried to make it big enough to hold the swap file
-- that reduced fragmentation on the NT system drive, and also FAT16's
big clusters make for good swapfile performance (faster than NTFS or
FAT32).

> All of the useful programs are on a separate drive (usually D:, but it
> depends on the specific environment).  That way I only need to manage one
> copy of all the programs and can use them consistently no matter how DOS
> booted.

Good plan.

> The problem with this approach is that the programs are almost never on C:,
> and they may not be on D: either.  The way I manage that is to set myself up
> an S: ("System") drive which is where the programs are located.  I use
> whatever tools I have available in the DOS I'm using to do that (usually
> SUBST or SWSUBST, but e.g. in DOSBox I need to use MOUNT).  I have the
> programs and batch files set up to assume S: instead of C: for the default
> drive.
>
> That's probably too complicated of a setup for most people, but is how I do
> it.

Aha. That's a good idea. Thank you -- I may try that.

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lpro...@cix.co.uk ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lpro...@gmail.com