Not true.

If both of the partitions are primary partitions, and the bootable flag is swapped from one to the other, then when one boots, the second will be drive d:, and vice versa.  I used to use the fdisk method all the time, I dual booted linux, and dos, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work with windows and dos as well. Obviously,, I couldn't access the linux partition from dos, because it didn't read the linux file system, but linux had no trouble seeing the dos partition, and another friend I had used dos/windows (as requested in the original post), and that worked just fine, he could see both drives no matter which os he booted.

Obviously, I've not tried this in years, but I see no reason why things would have changed in this regard.