On 17 May 2022, 18:21, perditi...@gmail.com wrote:
So yes there is work in the pipeline, but nothing coming soon or guaranteed
to be useful.

Jeremy

That is great to hear, as FreeDOS will otherwise be drifting away
forever on real hardware, even more as it was before (when there still
were EFI-CSMs). That HP uses Linux (or rather: has to use /something
else/) to boot FreeDOS proves exactly that.

Being able to natively use GPT is just one small initial step, but for
real hardware a necessary one I think, as this would make multi-boot a
lot easier. Just like Linux was/still is able to boot from GPT, even
when in BIOS mode.

IMHO I think a very small core operating system, one that would provide
all the necessary drivers and a complete BIOS emulation, would solve the
problem nicely, but it would have to be something better than /just any/
Linux, because that comes with a) too much additional stuff unnecessary
for the task at hand, b) issues of its own and c) if not updated
regularly: security concerns.

Something like a very small Linux kernel (LinuxBIOS/Coreboot?) with an
accelerated display driver (among other things), a BIOS emulation, some
basic hardware emulation like keyboard/mouse, some more complex hardware
emulation like an emulated SoundBlaster card -- maybe something like
DOSBox, but as a fullscreen KVM -- would be just it. FreeDOS would then
be running on the same virtual hardware, everywhere.

Thanks for your reply.
A.