Hello Liam Proven,

[re Pascal, Modula, etc.]

You [Rugxulo] also said: >> (So it was too many competing languages,
honestly.)> Also not really
fair.> I mean, arguably, yes, but there are also dozens of variants of
C.> There's original C, K&R C, Plan 9 C, ANSI C, C 99, C11, C17 and soon
C23.> All are C. All are different. Code from one may not work in others.
And of course there is Limbo, Go, C++, C#, D, and myriad variants.

Not quite.  There is a clear difference between a "dialect" of C, and a
language that is only kind of "influenced" by C.  In brief, any compiler
that claims to be a "C compiler" --- including GCC, the Intel C
compiler, or even Plan 9's C compiler --- had better be able to compile

  #include <stdio.h>
  int main()
  {
    printf("Hello world!");
    return 0;
  }

into a program that actually prints "Hello world!".

In contrast, we do not expect (say) a Java, Go, or C# compiler to accept
the above program, or even to make it print "Hello world!".  Because
Java is not a dialect of C, and does not claim to be one.

Thank you!

--
https://gitlab.com/tkchia