On 7/11/2022 5:33 PM, Rugxulo wrote:

Which makes me wonder if it would be
possible to do such a "back port" from the sources of one of the earlier
versions of FPK,at least those that started to be self-compiling, before
the more widespread adaptations of Delphi'isms.... :?
I highly doubt it. Free Pascal started by using  so-called "Go32v1"
[sic], aka bits from DJGPP, to be a 32-bit "Turbo" Pascal compiler for
DOS. The first public releases were 1995 or so.
I was using the very early version of FPK. It was written in Turbo/Borland Pascal 7, and the very first versions were just a BP7 compatible compiler, 16 bit application, generating 386 code, while BP7 could do 8086 and 80286 only. It took about 2 years before the compiler became a) self-hosting and b) memory structures were enlarged and it started using the Go32 extender.

And that version, just when the switch to Go32 was being made, should be a good starting point for a 16bit compiler, generating 16bit Borland Pascal compatible code. Not sure if there is enough info still around to make it even TPU compatible. It would be different from the goal set back then, and not sure if Florian would still have that source code (that was well before SourceForge and Github).

Ralf