On 7/17/2022 5:10 PM, Jim Hall wrote:

Questions arise when you consider if you can re-use the CP/M source
code in another project that uses a recognized open source license -
or if you want to re-use code from another project (under an open
source license) to improve CP/M. Of course, these questions about code
sharing are probably moot anyway, because I'm sure the CP/M source
code is entirely assembly, and you don't just simply "copy/paste"
assembly code like this from one project into another project.

No, there is a large portion of cp/m source that is written in C.  Parallax was able to port the cp/m source to run on it's 8-core propeller boards.

While the work was (mostly) done by users of the propeller, and not the company itself, it still supported the work, and has links to the work on their site, though I don't have links at the moment, I'd have to go back through the forum posts to find them.

Parallax is a company that produces products such as the basic stamp, and the propeller board for use in hobby projects as well as commercial applications.  The fact that cp/m runs on the propeller board was a rather big deal at the time that it was completed, because folks had been looking for something they could install and run on the propeller boards themselves to give them an operating system that didn't need to be written from scratch.

It was a very popular topic for months on the forums there.

I personally never installed cp/m on any of my propeller projects, though I'd considered it a time or two.  I had considered building a cp/m propeller project with speech, but decided against it once I realized how much work producing a screen reader for the cp/m os would actually be.  Would be great to see something like that though.  Perhaps I'll actually tackle that one day, but probably not likely, since working out bugs with screen readers is tough when you depend on that very product to get your feedback.