Von: Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com>
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 16. Februar 2023 01:31
An: Discussion and general questions about FreeDOS.
<freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net>
Betreff: Re: [Freedos-user] Anyone want to write an article about FreeDOS?

Hi,

>From a practical standpoint, the only "Turbo Pascal for DOS" that is readily
>available anymore is "old 5.5" (freeware, non-redistributable). So it's not
>even the full TP 7 dialect. So you do get actual improvements and newer
>features in other compilers with their "turbo" dialect (e.g. FPC).

Even ignoring FPC (which is wonderful), the "de facto" Pascal standard long ago
was "turbo" in lieu of either of the "official" standards (ISO 7185, 10206).
Even Niklaus Wirth himself (whose birthday is
today!) long ago jumped ship to other languages (e.g. Oberon-07).

Heck, Delphi is 28 years old as of yesterday! (Quoting Marco Cantu):
"As a commenter wrote, Delphi was VB done right. With the original native VB
long abandoned by Microsoft, and VB.NET 'nearly frozen', Delphi has kept more
steam and has remained a viable option over the years." [FPC supports a large
subset of Delphi.]

So why use old dialects at all? Part of it is just a challenge to see if it can
be done. Part of it is just minimalism or reducing complexity or avoiding
unnecessary modern features. It's also just for strict compatibility (rarely
needed but still valid).

A newer language or toolset doesn't necessarily share all the advantages of the
older one. There are advantages and disadvantages to each.