I removed CDROM and Sound support. I moved all program directories from the D: drive (FAT16 access drive) to the C: drive and this appears to have improved the speed to about 7x slower. I then checked to see if KVM was running and it was.
The command line I was using to invoke the emulator was:-
$ qemu-system-i386 -m 32 -rtc base=localtime -drive file=dos.img,index=0,media=disk,format=raw -drive file=fat:rw:dosfiles/,format=raw -boot order=c -display sdl
I then added "-enable-kvm"
eg.
$ qemu-system-i386 -m 32 -rtc base=localtime -drive file=dos.img,index=0,media=disk,format=raw -drive file=fat:rw:dosfiles/,format=raw -boot order=c -display sdl -enable-kvm
This has moved speed to parity to 2x slower which is excellent.

I have switched to the 4DOS shell with no speed penalty. In 4DOS I have always used Function key F11 to toggle between two directories. This does not work as QEMU appears to use F11 to toggle between current window size and full screen. I have searched on the Internet but not found any reference to the use off F11 in QEMU. Anyone have any ideas how to reassign the key? I suspect it is hard coded?

Using drive D:, the access drive, appears to be problematic. Best not to use it other than transfer files.