Thanks. I will try writeback=off as well

The manual says "The default mode is *cache=writeback*." and further on it says-

By default, the cache.writeback=on mode is used. It will report data
 writes as completed as soon as the data is present in the host page
 cache. This is safe as long as your guest OS makes sure to correctly
 flush disk caches where needed. If your guest OS does not handle
 volatile disk write caches correctly and your host crashes or loses
 power, then the guest may experience data corruption.

For such guests, you should consider using cache.writeback=off. This
 means that the host page cache will be used to read and write data,
 but write notification will be sent to the guest only after QEMU has
 made sure to flush each write to the disk. Be aware that this has a
 major impact on performance.