Hello,

On Thu, 25 Apr 2024 at 22:23, Frantisek Rysanek via Freedos-user <
freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> Let me suggest the following hypothesis:
>
> Your FreeDOS and graphical hardware is running with the HW-default
> code page, known as Code Page 437.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437
>
> Whereas, you're trying to display text encoded in CP850.
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_850
> CP850, aka PC Latin 1, which is not the same as ISO Latin 1.
>
> Perhaps your keyboard is already switched to produce CP850.
>
> You probably need to run some program(s) to load the right codepage
> into the graphics card. I don't have a ready-made and tested recipe
> for you... could be something like:
>
> In config.sys:
> COUNTRY=055,850,C:\FDOS\BIN\COUNTRY.SYS
>
> In autoexec.bat:
> DISPLAY CON=(EGA,850,2)
> MODE CON CP PREP=(437,850) C:\FDOS\BIN\EGA.CPX)
> MODE CON CP SEL=850
>    maybe also:
> CHCP 850

you are mostly right, but as said above, 850 cannot be entered as argument
for CON in DISPLAY because his BIOS seems 437.
Besides, that is my favourite option (plus NLSFUNC) using CHCP, rather than
CP SEL=850. You can avoid NLSFUNC/CHCP (and use just COUNTRY and CP SEL) to
save some bytes, if you are never going to change your codepage.

Aitor