A HA-aware client would use SRV records to locate the server(s) and then
connect every returned instance until a working server is found. And by using
locations you can scope the servers you get back.

Regarding the single URL: while there are many options, we decided to simply
register all servers in a load balancer and when you access the URL provided by
the loadbalancer you simply get redirected to any working server.
Some people prefer no URL redirects and try to solve it using stick tables and
the likes, but to us that seems like a dirty solution so we ditched it after a
PoC phase. It works but we don’t want it ;-)

If you have a special use case, a separate web app that talks to IPA can be
better, that is what we did for non-tech accounts; a simple self-service app
that allows you to change your own password and manage MFA.
For everything else (i.e. SSO, SAML etc.) we often use something else that
talks to IPA, like Keycloak, because the IPA WebUI itself is really not going
to give a user any useful functionality; it’s more of an operator and admin
thing.

John