I wouldn't say "wrong approach in development" rather "wrong approach in
FreeIPA development". There are a lot of products which you can extend pretty
easy, e.g. by just mounting volumes with your files into the container.
Especially a kind of a small extension like this, a ldap schema and a few ui
elements makes you go through such a hassle, build a rpm package and an own
docker image. That's horrible to be honest. Whoever is responsible here, I hope
they read this, too, taking this into consideration on any FreeIPA upgrades
making it more friendly for extensions and also give the docs a higher priority
(P.S. I had to google how to install the FreeIPA packages on a fresh Rocky
Linux VM, as I couldn't find it in the official FreeiPA docs, that's
ridiculous).
I don't know give us something like a environment variable where we can add a
plugin path, then we simply mount a volume with the extensions in whatever
format/structure it needs and point to it using the env var. Idk, anything
which is less cumbersome than the current approach.

Nevertheless, back to the technical part. By the way, thanks for your time
Alexander, I appreciate it.
I prepared a repo: https://github.com/leonidas-o/freeipa-postfixbook-plugin
When I execute the command: "rpmbuild -ba freeipa-userstatus-plugin.spec" I get
"error: Failed build dependencies:
        python2-ipaserver >= 4.4.0 is needed by
freeipa-postfixbook-plugin-0.9.0-1.el8.noarch"

So how do you setup your dev env? I've never build a rpm package, so this is
pretty new to me. I mean currently is python3-ipaserver with all its
dependencies installed, can't simply install python2-ipserver with all its
dependencies as there are for sure dependency conflicts. Do you even build with
one spec file several packages or having multiple spec files, e.g. one for
python3, one for python2 and therefore also multiple dev env VMs where you can
build that?