Leo O via FreeIPA-users wrote:
> I wouldn't say "wrong approach in development" rather "wrong approach in
> FreeIPA development". There are a lot of products which you can extend pretty
> easy, e.g. by just mounting volumes with your files into the container.
> Especially a kind of a small extension like this, a ldap schema and a few ui
> elements makes you go through such a hassle, build a rpm package and an own
> docker image. That's horrible to be honest. Whoever is responsible here, I
> hope they read this, too, taking this into consideration on any FreeIPA
> upgrades making it more friendly for extensions and also give the docs a
> higher priority (P.S. I had to google how to install the FreeIPA packages on
> a fresh Rocky Linux VM, as I couldn't find it in the official FreeiPA docs,
> that's ridiculous).

What docs do you look at? It's pretty clearly documented at
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/8/html/installing_identity_management

> I don't know give us something like a environment variable where we can add a
> plugin path, then we simply mount a volume with the extensions in whatever
> format/structure it needs and point to it using the env var. Idk, anything
> which is less cumbersome than the current approach.

IPA in a container is still a work in process and an engineering feat in
itself to stuff multiple servers into a single container. Your
expectations are simply too high for what it is.

> Nevertheless, back to the technical part. By the way, thanks for your time
> Alexander, I appreciate it.
> I prepared a repo: https://github.com/leonidas-o/freeipa-postfixbook-plugin
> When I execute the command: "rpmbuild -ba freeipa-userstatus-plugin.spec" I
> get a
> "error: Failed build dependencies:
>       python2-ipaserver >= 4.4.0 is needed by
> freeipa-postfixbook-plugin-0.9.0-1.el8.noarch"
>
> So how do you setup your dev env? I've never build a rpm package, so this is
> pretty new to me. I mean currently is python3-ipaserver with all its
> dependencies installed, can't simply install python2-ipserver with all its
> dependencies as there are for sure dependency conflicts. Do you even build
> with one spec file several packages or having multiple spec files, e.g. one
> for python3, one for python2 and therefore also multiple dev env VMs where
> you can build that?

This requirement is specified in your specfile, not something IPA
imposes. If you a building only for RHEL 8 (or clone) then you can drop
all the RHEL-7 boilerplate, and probably much of the older Fedora stuff
as well.

rob