Neal Rauhauser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   We've been fighting a weird problem today - our FreeRadius would run
> for anywhere from two minutes to two hours, then CPU utilization would
> shoot to 100% and no one could log in anywhere on the network.

  Yeah, other people have been having similar problems.  Some may be
due to bugs in the server, but bugs in the PPPoE client are annoying.

>   I'm always on users about picking decent passwords - you can imagine
> my surprise at discovering one of our windows XP customers presenting a
> sixty four *thousand* character password.

  How the heck does that fit into a RADIUS packet?  Do they send
multiple User-Password attributes in teh same packet?

> He has an impressive typing speed, too, about 124,387 wpm to judge
> by the number of login requests coming through. Even more
> impressive, he appears to be telekinetic, since he was doing this
> while out of town :-)

  So there are a large number of requests, too.

>  So, if you've got XP customers running the M$ PPPoE that comes with the
> OS, and you're having weird authentication problems, you might want to
> get out your favorite sniffer and start digging.

  Can you please tell us some way of recognizing these packets?  That
will allos us to hack the server to throw these garbage requests away,
without using all of the CPU.

  Putting an ascii copy of tcpdump's output for this problem on the
web somewhere would help enormously.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html