hello :-)

"McNutt, Justin M." wrote:

> Okay, so the way that Microsoft's RADIUS server gets away with this is due to the
>fact that in
> a Microsoft domain, user names and passwords are not stored using strong (one-way)
>encryption.
> You can decrypt the password file.
>
> So when an EAP request comes in to an MS RADIUS server, MS decrypts your password,
>then
> encrypts it again using EAP-MD5, which it can then check against the string that
>came from the
> NAS.
>
> Right?

no idea :-) never been in touch with MS Radius and RAS and all this
stuff. In any case it has to have the clear text password since it
_should_ not be possible to derive the password from the authentication
string (there is no proof, though :-))

EAP-TLS has been developed by Mr. Adoba (et al.) who is currently
working for Microsoft if I'm not completely mistaken. It represents a
complete TLS exchange using EAP. EAP itself is only the negotiation
scheme and the carrier frame for the negotiated protocol. So, I guess
that the real challenge during the protocol development was the
segmentation of TLS packets which can become rather huge with all the
certificate stuff in them. EAP-TLS should be natively supported by every
WinXP box (well, I'm not sure for the "home edition"...) which is
interesting from the customer's/user's point of view. (Besides: Does
anybody know something about such support (for WiFi) in Linux? Would be
very interesting to get some links.)

Above all, EAP-TLS is an alternative because it's not at all limited to
a whatever form of passwords and provides for the usage of strong
encryption, in contrast to a CHAP-like MD5-protection: D-H exchanges
based on different groups, TDES, client- and server certificates, etc.,
briefly all the stuff which is defined by TLS.

Regards,

artur

PS great job, the support for EAP-TLS in freeradius!!!! thank you! we
are trying to test it right know, i would be happy to give some feedback
as soon as we have something to tell! (ah)

--
hecker -at- enst.fr