On Wed, 12 Jun 2002, Adi Linden wrote:

> > No you can't. Both have to point to valid DN's in your tree. The
> > profile_attribute is an attribute contained in the user entry pointing to the
> > profile to be applied for the user, while User-Profile contains the profile to
> > be applied in special cases instead of the default profile (I use it to
> > implement Large Scale Dialout where I don't need the default reply items
> > contained in the default profile).
>
> So the profiles are entirely in LDAP then. I wanted to stay away from
> extending the LDAP schema on the LDAP server if possible and do as much as
> possible in the freeradius configuration.

Well if you don't want to extend the LDAP schema then you could just use the
users file to create profiles.

> From another message on the list I see that it is not possible to group
> users by having an attribute such as this either:
>
>     knetRadiusGroup: knetonly
>
> In "radiusd.conf" the LDAP attribute would have to associate with the
> group somehow and then in "users":
>
>     DEFAULT Group == "knetonly"
>
> Are there any solutions I haven't thought of yet?
>
> Thanks,
> Adi

You can create normal groups in your ldap tree. Then you can do group searches
like this in your users file:

DEFAULT Ldap-Group == "admins"

Just set the groupname_attribute in the ldap module configuration section to
whatever  attribute holds the name of your group. That will be used to do a
search to find the requested group like this:

groupname_attribute = cn

ldap_search($base_dn,(cn=admins)

After that the module will use the groupmembership_filter to find if the user
belongs to the group.

I am planing to also implement the second way of doing group membership which is
to have an attribute in the user entries pointing to the _DN_ of the group(s)
the user belongs to.

--
Kostas Kalevras         Network Operations Center
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      National Technical University of Athens, Greece