Dear Vic Abell,

--Tuesday, July 16, 2002, 5:53:45 PM, you wrote to [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

>>  Secretary: do you have an appointment?
>>  Mr. Abell: Yes, my name is Vic Abel

VA> In this new an suspicious age, that wouldn't be the exchange.
VA> It would be:

VA> Secretary: Do you have an appointment?
VA> Mr. Abell: Yes, my name is Vic Abell
VA> Scretary: May I please see some identification?
VA> Mr. Abell: Yes, here is my picture ID card, or my retina scan,

***

After  secretary  finds  your  file by you name (it's authorization, she
finds "who is Mr. Abell?") and compares data from file with one provided
by you (it's authentication, "Is it really Mr. Abell?"). It's impossible
to answer "Is it really Mr. Abel?" before we found "Who is Mr. Abel?".

RADIUS  protocol  itself  doesn't  have authorization and authentication
(like  TACACS+  does),  it's authentication protocol, and it's called by
NAS  to  authenticate  user.  All  information (for example username and
password)  is  usually  transmitted in the single packet. RADIUS replies
with a data which helps NAS to authorize the user if he authenticated.

In   FreeRADIUS   authorization   and  authentication  are  referred  to
_internal_  process  of  gathering information about user, including his
valid   password   or   key  and  appropriate  authentication  mechanism
(authorization)  and  checking user's validity (authentication). This it
not  related  to  process  of  user's  authentication and authorization,
because RADIUS never deals with user, it works with NAS. All the work in
the  above  example before *** is not related to RADIUS and performed by
NAS before RADIUS is ever called.

VA> Scretary: May I please see some identification?

is related to NAS, not to RADIUS.

--
~/ZARAZA
Ну а теперь, Уильям, хорошенько поразмыслите над данным письмом. (Твен)