any problem running both accoutning methods (the detail file and the mysqldb)?

--On Thursday, November 21, 2002 11:51 AM -0500 Dave Vondracek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Thu, 21 Nov 2002 08:41:08 -0800
 "Mike Denka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
1) anyone using mysql for accounting only - using another
authentication
and authorization?  If so is the setup as simple as using
the sql schema
included with freeradius and just including "sql" in the
accounting
section of the radiusd.conf file?
Yes, we run mysql for accounting only.  The setup was
incredibly simple as well as customization.  That's about
all you will need for the default installation.  Specific
server information is in sql.conf.

2) are there significant gains to be made in terms of
access to data and
report generation using mysql over perl scripts or other
programs
written to parse the detail file and generate flat files
with relevant
information?  My guess is that with a mysql database of
accounting data,
I should be able to access just about any kind of
information I wanted
from a properly formed sql query (like ip address usage
data,
time-on-line information for customers and just about any
other kind of
trending data I could imagine).  Am I correct in that
assumption or are
there significant hurdles to using a mysql
accounting-only system that I
should be aware of?

Yes.  As long as you store the data, it's much easier to
access.  It is also easy to add to the schema and log
additional data requiring changes only to sql.conf and the
table structure.  (mailing list archive and
docs/variables.txt will prove valuable here)

3) If the idea of using mysql as an accounting system
makes sense, are
there existing tools that anyone knows of that are
already written to
generate various reports on radius accounting data?

Sorry, haven't investigated.

Thanks,

Mike

-