At 04:59 PM 12/11/2002 -0300, Fernando Teodoro wrote:
Hi Matt, and thanks for the tip. "Walled Garden" sounds fine.

I followed the link you send me; as far I understood, a captive portal is a
kind of gateway with transparent proxy that redirects the client browser;
so, when the customer tries any address, it's source is verified from an
auth system (if it has already authenticated, he can pass-through an go
anywhere). It should work for me, even with no auth - simply sending a
default webpage to the client with a cookie.

Yet, my problem remains: not all my customers should fall in this system -
they will (or will not) fit in this rule according some criteria - and the
Radius is my first choice, since everybody's must dial-in and auth in
Radius. If I let anyone auth in Radius and force anyone to authenticate in
browser to access the web, it will be a great pain for regular customers
(90% of the total users); this is the pattern used by free-ISP in Brazil,
and it makes this services so boring.

Most important, you answered my main question: there's no way to redirect
clients homepage with any of Radius features, right? Radius "talks" only
with RAS, and not with the end-user. So, any solution will require web-proxy
redirecting. No other way?
There is no specific way via RADIUS directly to make this happen as
routing policy it outside the scope of RADIUS.

*HOWEVER* RADIUS can be used to communicate policy routing decisions
to the NAS if the NAS supports it. It's a feature of the NAS, not
of RADIUS.

You can setup Policy Based Routing on Cisco NAS for example, triggered
by a Cisco-VSA attribute you return. You could selectively return
the VSA trigger with Group attributes on your RADIUS server.

So, to answer you question, it does not require a web-proxy system. It
depends on your NAS choice and the capabilties of that NAS.

-Chris
--
\\\|||/// \ StarNet Inc. \ Chris Parker
\ ~ ~ / \ WX *is* Wireless! \ Director, Engineering
\ Wholesale Internet Services - http://www.megapop.net