At 03:15 PM 12/12/2002 -0300, Fernando Teodoro wrote:
Hello Chris,

I'm not sure if I post the details to the mailing-list, but I'm using the following RAS:
- Lucent PortMaster 3 (22 units)
EOL product, but this is capable of doing what you want, if you can
find the docs to configure it.

- Lucent/Ascend Max6000 (4 units)
EOL announced for this product, not cable of doing what you want anyway.

- MaxTNT (1 unit)
EOL not announced yet for this product ( that I know ), but expect it to
go the way of the 6000 shortly ( Lucent wants to push the APX line ).

I was guessing if Cisco would do the trick - it does a lot of tricks. But I have only Cisco routers in the ISP, no RAS :-(
Cisco was one example.  Other NAS ( such as the PM3 ) are also capable.

I was also guessing that it's out of the Radius scope. There's no way to interact Radius filter with http functions, like web redirect via proxy.
Too sad. I'm working in a log-parser to extract "filtered" login/phone number from the log, and sent it to my helpdesk crew - and they will call the "filtered" customers. Not so elegant, but it's the most effective I can do now...
Something that all of the nas you listed can do fairly easily is apply
a packet filter via RADIUS ( Filter-ID ). This could block port 80 traffic
from going anywhere except the proxy server. You apply it selectively to
the users you want. If they don't have proxy settings, they won't be able
to surf the web, so they'll likely call your NOC. Your NOC can then tell
them to add the proxy settings and VOILA.

Many ways to skin the cat on this one. Tranparent proxying is nice, but
in practice it can be difficult to setup and maintain, especially across
a multi-nas environment.

-Chris
--
\\\|||/// \ StarNet Inc. \ Chris Parker
\ ~ ~ / \ WX *is* Wireless! \ Director, Engineering
\ Wholesale Internet Services - http://www.megapop.net