On Sat, Jan 03, 2004, Brian Johnson wrote:
>Why not make it subscriber only. Why be different than everybody else?

I run several mailing lists that aren't subscriber only, but don't get
nearly the level of spam that this one does (and it's even running an old
version of majordomo).  The spam levels are low through a combination of
fairly draconian RBLs, spamassassin, and a fairly large selection of header
and body patterns that are checked before sending messages through to the
majordomo resend program.  Anything getting through the RBLs and matching
the patterns is forwarded to me for approval.  Any attempts to spam the
lists gets the connecting IP address added to a local RBL that's normally
reserved for sites that have attempted to crack systems I manage so are
blocked from any attempt to connect to any services on these sites.

We also have postfix configured to reject any mail from sites with no
reverse DNS which has proven very effective with almost zero false
positives (and since AOL is now doing this, it's much easier to get through
to ISPs to get their DNS fixed).

One major problem I've seen recently is the growth of spam messages
consisting of a paragraph of random words with a single URL in the body.
These aren't caught by spamassassin, or most of the other filters.  The
good thing about them is that they're typically small.

Bill

``Are we at last brought to such a humiliating and debasing degradation,
that we cannot be trusted with arms for our own defense? Where is the
difference between having our arms in our own possession and under our own
direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense
be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted
with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?''
    -- Patrick Henry June 9, 1788, in the Virginia Convention on the
    ratification of the Constitution.

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html