On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 10:01, jeff pickering wrote:
> - No, Im not sure about the AP sending EAPOL-key frames since I cant
> look at that
> and even if I could, 802.1x is silent on the content and use of those
> frames. For my enlightenment,
> I would be happy if you could direct me to a source for info on the subject.

If you have a wireless card capable of RF monitoring mode, you can watch
the EAP conversation take place to make sure the EAPOL-Key frames are
being sent.  Ethereal works quite well for this if you have either a
Cisco Aironet card or a Proxim Orinoco Class card with the monitor mode
patches linked from the Airsnort site (http://airsnort.shmoo.com).

> - I understand that radius server and supplicant agree on msk, but also
> understood that AP
> somehow needed this information and expected to get it outside the eap
> exchange, eg
> in MPPE-Send-key radius attribute in same packet that contained the
> accept. If this is
> not the case, why are these attributes sent?

It is true that the derived MSK is sent to the AP in the
MS-MPPE-[Send|Recv]-Key attributes.  These are used to create the TSKs
used for layer 2 encryption (otherwise known as WEP keys in our current
state... in 802.11i, they will be AES keys).

> - If many people have this working, perhaps the linksys wrv54g, which is
> relatively new, has a bug. I'll
>   try to look in that direction.

That would be my suggestion.  I'm using the current PEAP implementation
of FR with Proxim AP-2000s with great success.

--

--Mike