Ok,

I think I have just tried every version of openssl there is and still no luck.

If I manually overide the Makefile of course everything works... but
why is my openssl config messing up the configure script?

If I comment out all the checks for SSL_new the configuration file again it works...
but what is going wrong?

Thanks,

T.