On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 03:03:26PM -0600, Guy Fraser wrote:
> Paul Hampson wrote:
> ...snip...

> >_I_ haven't tested against the lastest release of FreeBSD. I'd welcome
> >any improvements to the thread-safety of FreeRADIUS, so if you want to
> >test it out and suggest changes that don't break any other versions of
> >FreeBSD, any other BSD flavours, and (if possible) Tru64 and OS/X...
> >
> >However, given that we're ramping up to a release, I'd rather not
> >duplicate the 0.9 series's tendancy to need autoconf fixes for
> >gethostby* immediately after _each_ release. If we have something safe-
> >looking before we start the pre release cycle, and it gets _tested_ by
> >various FreeBSD and other bodies, then maybe. :-)
> >
> ...snip...

> I rebuilt from CVS on 2004Apr20 08:56 MDT, with the usual warnings about
> *_r possibly not being thread safe, but no errors were generated on
> FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p1. I did not apply any patches to CVS before I
> compiled.

gethostbyaddr{,_r} is overridden to be BSD-style if we detect FreeBSD...
Try deleting lines 8519 to 8528 inclusive from configure (Pasted below
for comparison) and see if it still builds/runs.

case "$host" in
*-freebsd*)
    cat >> confdefs.h <<\EOF
#define GETHOSTBYADDRRSTYLE BSDSTYLE
EOF

    gethostbyaddrrstyle=BSD
    echo "configure: warning: FreeBSD overridden to BSD-style" 1>&2
    ;;
esac

gethostbyname{,_r} isn't overridden, and sounds like it's still
BSD-style on FreeBSD. I guess the question is, is it now thread-safe?

--
Paul "TBBle" Hampson, on an alternate email client.