"Walter Schulze" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I successfully installed FreeRADIUS on a box and bought the O'Reilly
> book "RADIUS" by Jonathan Hassel, but I do not see where to
> configure the below Covad POP addresses as users to have the Covad
> NOC run their authentication test.

  I'm not quite sure what you mean by that.

> I tried in the clients.conf file, but I must of done something
> wrong.

  Can you post the relevant debug log?  That will say what's going
wrong.

>  Can someone provide a walkthrough for a FreeRADIUS beginner as to
> how to add the below POP addresses so the Covad NOC can run their
> authentication test?

  Normally, you add them to the "clients.conf" file, with a shared secret.

  Alan DeKok.

Alan,

the problem I am having is there is not someone in the Covad NOC who can
explain the configuration in the FreeRADIUS file they are trying to test
for.  They ask me for user/pw & shared secret.  With that and my server
address, they run authentication tests from their POP sites.  Each attempt
has failed because I do not know exactly what they are looking for to
successfully complete their tests.  I assume something along the lines of
the below, but I am not sure.  Does it look right?

client 64.105.202.137 {
  secret     = donttellanyone
  shortname  = Covad_POP-1
  vendor     = I do not know what to put here
  type       = tc
  login      = !root
  password   = changeme

Also, I am not clear on the difference between using a "client" entry and
using a "nas" entry.  Since these are servers in Covad's POP sites, do I use
the "nas" entry for them instead?  For instance...

nas 64.105.202.137 {

-
List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html