OK, after some initial configuration trouble I have now tried letting
FreeRADIUS read a smbpasswd file instead of using ntlm_auth, and now my
Windows XP client can successfully authenticate!

So, either there's something fishy inside FreeRADIUS concering the use
of ntlm_auth or I guess Samba/ntlm_auth returns returns a broken response.

If there's anything I can do to help diagnose and fix this, like provide
more logfiles, testing patches or anything else, I'd be happy to help out.

Anyway, for now I can solve my authentication needs by running FreeRADIUS
on the same server as my Samba domain controller.

Regards,
Fredrik

--
   If it's such a good idea, I expect that management will be joining us.

Fredrik Öhrn                               Chalmers University of Technology
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                                  Sweden