i currently have a radius server running cistron radius (an older version)
that authenticates against the system's passwd/shadow file.  there are about
8k users on the system and 6 RAS devices (ascend tnt's and max4000's).  i
dont do anything fancy with attributes and dont track usage details or
anything - just basically authenticate username/password and then the RAS
gives the user an ip.

some of my passwords are md5, some are not (majority are md5).  of course, i
dont have the passwords in plaintext anywhere.  the hardware is x86 running
redhat linux. i currently use webmin to add/remove users.

i would like to convert to freeradius but would like some feedback regarding
my setup - is it doable?  what challenges/obstacles would i face?  im
thinking the passwd/shadow files will be my biggest problem.  i would like to
move to a mysql database for storing usernames/passwords as i could then
write a management system in php for adding/removing users.

i would appreciate any thoughts on this.

--
Chad Whitten
Network/Systems Administrator

-