Alan DeKok wrote:
  There is no need to change the code.

  If your script exits with a non-zero exit code, then the
authentication fails.  If this isn't happening, then something else is
going on, or you're not doing what you're saying you're doing.

  Rather than discuss what you think you're doing, post the debug
output.  This is in the FAQ, README, and INSTALL.  The debug output WILL
tell you what's going on.

  There is no extra magic we have in reading the debug output.  But we
READ IT.

  Alan DeKok.

I am sure that Alan is correct here, otherwise many other users would have the same problem. With such a large user base, there *must* be other people using php authentication scripts, yet so far only 2 of us have battled?!

Something just occurred to me that I dont think I tried before.
What happens if instead of doing an

exit(2);

you do a

return(2);

This way your script will still exit clean, so freeradius wont pick it up as a script failure, but hopefully will still get the result?

--

Q: I want to be a sysadmin.  What should I do?

A: Seek professional help.