Hi Daryl,

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 6:26 PM, Daryl Poe <daryl....@hp.com> wrote:

> Hi Marc-André and freerdp-devel:
>
> While I was poking around trying to figure out why "xfreerdp --rfx"
> displays Aero on the desktop with 0.9 and does not with 1.0 (to the same
> RDVH server from the same client), I compiled a list of all the places I
> found differences in the capabilities advertised by the client in the
> TsConfirmActivePDU message.  Interpretation was done by the netmon program
> on the Hyper-V server (intercepting messages to the RDP/RFX virtual machine
> by putting the interfaces into promiscuous mode).
>
> Attached is the full list of differences (unless I overlooked one).  Some
> of these look like potential problems or typos in the freerdp capabilities
> set.  I don't yet know if one or more of them is causing the no-Aero
> problem, or whether it's later in the message stream.  It might be worth
> looking over the differences regardless.  For instance, did freerdp-1.0
> purposely change the pointer support from color to monochrome, disable
> offscreen support, turn off glyph support, etc.?

I did a couple of tweaks to the capabilities. In the associated issue (
https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP/issues/137) someone pointed out a bug in
the offscreen bitmap cache capabilities, I fixed it. I added a
--composition option to turn on the desktop composition performance flag as
proposed here:
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-AU/os_windowsprotocols/thread/7774cec2-a86b-4a5f-89f3-f88bccb5d32c

however, it is unclear what exactly means "turn on composition over
remotefx" versus "turn on composition without remotefx". Turning desktop
composition on will cause the performance flag to be set, but will also
affect the flags in the associated desktop composition capability set. It
is possible that for it to work we might need to set the performance flags
but not the capability set, since one of them might be used only for the
desktop composition extension.

Thanks for your analysis.

I have a few comments though, since there is some stuff which I could not
relate to the code:

TsFontCapabilitySet is marked as "not sent" for 1.0. The code seems to send
it properly, so I'm confused.

TsPointerCapabilitySet.colorPointerFlag is marked as "color (1)" for 0.9
and "monochrome (0)" for 1.0. However, the code does use a value of 1 for
this flag. Again, confused as to why you've observed a value of 0.

TsBitmapCapabilitySet.DrawingFlags.Unused1 is undocumented. I have no idea
why it was set to 1 in 0.9. We could try setting it to 1 just to be closer
to 0.9 and see what it does. Other flags in that field deal with alpha
transparency and image compression.

TsSurfaceCommandCapabilitySet.CmdFlags.SetSurfaceBits is off in 0.9 but on
in 1.0. Maybe we could experiment with turning it off.

Regards,
- Marc-Andre