Hi Winston,

On 28 Jun 2014, at 01:30, Yang Hong
<yang_h...@hotmail.com<mailto:yang_h...@hotmail.com>> wrote:

Hello Folks.

I fully support Joseph's suggestion.

(1) If an open-source project wants more contribution from software developers
in the community, we need a basic guide for compiling the FreeRDP-WebConnect
source code successfully.
I quite understand the pains from Joseph's friends, because I also had the
similar compiling issue of FreeRDP-WebConnect source code provided by cloudbase.

While I definitely agree on the necessity for clear building instructions, I
invite you read further down in the thread for the reasons why we still haven’t
publish them yet.

Beside that, we just took over the responsability of mantaining this project.
Please be patient as we work hard to solve the small hiccups that can occour
when a change of this magnitude happens.

(2) We appreciate the fundamental contribution on FreeRDP-WebConnect from
cloudbase.
However, I can successfully compile the original FreeRDP-WebConnect source code
provided by Fritz Elfert under Ubuntu 12.04.
I failed to compile the FreeRDP-WebConnect source code provided by cloudbase
under Ubuntu 12.04.

The project compiles currently perfectly well on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, CentOS 6.5
(RHEL 6.5 is targetted as well, although not directly tested by us) and Windows
(VS 2013, tested on Windows Server 2012 R2).
I assume that you tried the latest code committed yesterday before submitting
this email to the ML, if not, I kindly invite you to do so and come back if you
still find issues.

At this stage Fritz’s code is 2 years and a gazillion commits older then the
current master tip, so make sure that you are updating your build metodology
accordingly.

ATM all you need to do for building the project is to execute:

./sudo install_prereqs.sh
./setup-all.sh

Please note that WebConnect’s build process is now based on CMake (which is
consistent with FreeRDP), not autoconf. The actual build scripts might change
until we document them.

The issues you might have encoutered are related to a significative change in
the build process of a dependency (Casablanca) that occurred in the meantime
and that we addressed with recent commits.

This also leads to a side discussion related to the need for a continuous
intergration (CI) testing framework (already in the works), strictly necessary
if we want to support a non trivial range of platforms due to the amount of
moving parts in the dependencies.

Beside that, we need continuous DEB and RPM builds ASAP to avoid the need for
everybody to build from source. Volunteers are well accepted!

(3) Actually there is another project Guacamole which requires the
administration-intensive work.
Guacamole can be a good reference for cloudbase's FreeRDP-WebConnect. For
example, I helped the Guacamole team to debug an issue as shown in the
following link.
https://glyptodon.org/jira/browse/GUAC-304
Note that this issue was created on 2013-07-17. I started to test the solutions
for this issue on 2014-04-02. Finally the Guacamole team fixed the issue on
2014-04-14. This means that more contribution from the community, more progress
on the open-source project.

A simple solution for enhancing the efficience of cloudbase, I suggest that
cloudbase just provides the basic guide for Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.04 or
(Ubuntu 13.10).
Why I recommand Windows 7? because it is the most popular OS under Windows
series.
Why I recommand Ubuntu? because it is easy to install the dependencies required
by FreeRDP-WebConnect.

You’re very welcome to help debugging and contributing to this project as well
of course.

Beside our work as Cloudbase, it’d be great to implement a proper community
process contribution around WebConnect in reporting issues and actively
communicating with the developers.
As an example, I’m logged very often on the FreeRDP IRC channel (alexpilotti).
I don’t recall having conversations with you about building issues and
providing help in sorting out the causes.
If your plan is to help in improving this project, I definitely suggest to
start from having a proper communication as it’s way more productive then just
complaining.  :-)

About the priority for supported platforms since you raised the topic, unlike
FreeRDP, WebConnect is mostly targetting servers. This means that priority will
be given to the most popular server platforms: Windows Server 2008 R2 / 2012 /
2012 R2, Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 LTS, CentOS / RHEL 6.5 (and soon 7.0) and
possibly Suse SLES.
This doesn’t mean that the project won’t work on other OSs / distros (e.g.
Windows 7 or Fedora), those will just have a lower priority unless the
community will agree differently.

Thanks,

Alessandro

Best regards,