Hi Yang,

On 09 Aug 2014, at 21:27, Yang Hong <yang_h...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Erfane,
>
> Have you solved the server unstable issue of Webconnect-FreeRDP (wsgate)?
>
> Based on my experience and the issues reported by the users in the past year,
> the server unstable issue is caused by ehs (embeded HTTP server) server.
>
> (1) If we look at the source code of wsgate_main.cpp, we can find that WsGate
> leverages EHS server instead of Apache or Nginx by inheritance of EHS class.
> // subclass of EHS that defines a custom HTTP response.
>    class WsGate : public EHS
>
> (2) Let us look at EHS server again.
> http://ehs.fritz-elfert.de/
> 04/10/2005 - New version coming today. It's been a while..
> 05/20/2010 - I (Fritz Elfert) found EHS at Zac's site and decided to adapt it
> to my needs. I realized, that since 2005 the project has be on hold.
>
> Fritz Elfert made the last commit on  Webconnect-FreeRDP (wsgate) in October
> 2012.
> https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP-WebConnect/graphs/contributors
>
> Probably Fritz Elfert has recognized that the wsgate server unstable issue is
> caused by ehs (embeded HTTP server) server, he continue to work on EHS.
>
> Fritz Elfert made the last commit on  EHS server in April 2013.
> ehs-1.5.0.164.tar.gz 2013-04-11
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ehs/files/CI/
>
> Unfortunately EHS server still can NOT support a stable Webconnect-FreeRDP
> (wsgate) server. This means that Webconnect-FreeRDP (wsgate) server may crash
> suddenly.
>
> If Webconnect-FreeRDP (wsgate) server can NOT work stably for more than 5
> weekdays, we have to address the server instability issue.
>
> Let us consider a simple example, we have a car which has a key issue on the
> main engine. However, it seems that we just pay attention to make decoration
> on the car by adding the new features.
>
> EHS server may support a stable web server for displaying a company website.
> However, FreeRDP requires HTML5 features which may crash EHS server
> arbitrarily.
>
> In summary, a simple question: can Webconnect-FreeRDP (wsgate) server works
> stably for 5 weekdays?
>
> Unfortunately alexpilotti did NOT quite understand the server unstable issue
> before closing the issue.
> https://github.com/FreeRDP/FreeRDP-WebConnect/issues/3
>
> "Hi, closing this issue as it's very old and refers to an obsolete codebase."
> Can the new codebase support a stable Webconnect-FreeRDP (wsgate) server? I
> do NOT think so.
>
> No offense. If we want to maintain a high-quality open-source software, we
> have to make sure that we have found the root cause of the issue.
>
> We really appreciate the great contribution of alexpilotti to the
> Webconnect-FreeRDP (wsgate) project.

The issue jas been closed as part of a general clean up, being 2 years old and
ignored for most of this time. You might have as well noticed the line:

"Please check the updated version and feel free to reopen the issue if you
still experience it."

So I don’t get why you just don’t reopen it, possibly adding some details.

> At the same time, we also expect that some EHS expert can fix the issue of
> EHS server so that Webconnect-FreeRDP (wsgate) server can work stably for 5
> weekdays continuously.

EHS is a big problem for this project and getting rid of it is a top priority
which will requre a full rewrite of wsgate.

As you pointed out, the main issue is that EHS is unmantained, so we either
take it over as a community and start contribute actively to it or we just
switch to something else.

For bug fixes, CMake support and other improvement, we currently rely on a
fork, but this is clearly far from ideal:
https://github.com/cloudbase/EHS

Given the project’s multi-platform requirements (Linux and Windows support)
it’s clearly not that easy to find a replacement for EHS.

Among the various options, I’d like to consider a proper web server integration
(IIS on Windows and Apache / Nginx on Linux) to avoid the need for a separate
service, port etc.
The main drawback is that this will lead towards two separate (sub)projects due
to the differences between IIS and Apache/Nginx.

Said that, I’m generally quite keen towards the idea of rewriting wsgate since
the code shows the traits of a great proof of concept more than a properly
finished product,
which means that achieving proper stability at the current stage requires most
probably more effort that just starting over.

I’d be more than happy to start a discussion on this topic on IRC.

With this effort in sight, we’re currently adding more developer resources for
the project, planning to start the rewrite ASAP.
Contributors (developers, testers, documentation) are as always very welcome!
:-)

Thanks,

Alessandro