Graham,

In general, you should be careful when selecting the '-nosomething'
options, as recon-all does not perform much checking for these flags
(only the -autorecon1,2,3 flags contain the validity checks).

An option when experimenting with the flags is to use the -dontrun flag,
which just prints all the commands it will run without executing.  Then
you can manually check for validity.

Also, perusing the recon-all script is the next best thing.  In the case
of the -noskullstrip flag, this just skips the mri_watershed block of
code, so that means brainmask.auto.mgz is not created.

This means, I suppose, that you could just name your own skullstripped
volume brainmask.auto.mgz (and copy that to brainmask.mgz, which is the
one that should be edited, if need be), and then run:

  recon-all -autorecon2 -normneck -noskull-lta

Nick