No, I don't have anything which allows you to specify them yourself. On the other hand, you can work-around this with something like:

mri_probedicom --i slice1.dcm --o slice1.dat

slice1.dat will be a binary file of the pixel data from the file slice1.dcm. You can do this for each slice, then assemble the data into a real format. Not fun, but possible. Other tools out there might not require the direction cosines.

doug

Niels Bergsland wrote:

Hi Doug,
Thanks for the quick response.  These are for single images.  These
older files are missing 0020,0032 (ImagePositionPatient) and 0020,0037
(ImageOrientationPatient).  It is my understanding that 20,37 is used
to establish the direction cosines.  The scans were all acquired in
the axial plane.  Is it possible to 'fake' the 20,37 field by
inserting the values: 1\0\0\0\1\0   ?  We also know which way the
slices are supposed to be sorted, is it possible to insert values into
20,32 in order to have freesurfer able to 'know' the proper sorting
order?
As I said in my first email, I am afraid not... But I figured it would
not hurt to ask.
Thanks!
Cheers,
Niels