Doug and Nick:

Thanks for the quick replies. Notes:

Doug wrote:
>  mri_convert orig.mgz orig.mgh

Ah, good to know, and lets you rename in the same step, so avoids collision.

At 9/6/2006 02:14 PM, you wrote:
1. You should keep the orig directory as that's where you store the the input data

Yep, I knew about that one :-)

Nick said:

> Yes, freesurfer recognizes the filename extension .mgh
> (and just doesnt do the gunzip on it internally).

But Doug said:
2. I'm not sure that everything will run smoothly with mgh. I think a lot of stuff is hardcoded to work with mgz and/or COR

Hmmm, so not sure what to make of that. Ideally programs would process the input based on the filename extension, and then produce same-format output.  But that may not have been a priority.

Graham