From a FreeSurfer stand-point it is fine. Your data integrity is, of course, your own business, but I would advise being very careful with it and putting a comment if you can into the dicom file indicating what you did. You might approach the manufacturer (or whoever is creating the dicoms) about including all the correct info from the start.

doug

Niels Bergsland wrote:

Hi Doug,
Thanks for the response.  The issue is that the fields are missing,
but we know that the scans are acquired in the axial plane.  Would it
be a horrible idea to insert into 20,37 the following values since
they correspond to a 'true' axial plane: 1\0\0\0\1\0 ?  You mentioned
before that Freesurfer uses 20,32 to calculate the order of the
slices.  Can we insert values into 20,32 in order to allow Freesurfer
to work?  (This would all be done prior to actually using Freesurfer
by using dcmodify from the DCMTK package to manually insert the
values, if this approach is feasible).
Thanks again Doug.
Regards,
Niels