With your assurance, I found my problem; the partial brain lines up fine the with full brain using both tkmedit and tksurfer for the individual when using the anat2exf.dat conversion matrix. I was expecting a more "hard-cut" at the edge of the partial brain as viewed with tksurfer. As an aside, my mris_preproc version is 1.18.2.1.

This actually brings me to the next question regarding partial brain statistical images: when I perform a group analysis on partial brain statistical images, should the entire average surface-based brain contain statistics (sig.mgz)? Depending on the subject, the extent of brain acquired is different, but does the GLM (using mri_glmfit) calculate the statistics even where only a subset of subjects have data? When FSL analyzes such data, it performs the GLM on a mask that corresponds only to the areas that overlap in all the subjects. Is there an equivalent mask that can be generated in Freesurfer to mask out the statistics that are based on a subset of subjects?

I have used mris_preproc to generate cope images (contrast of parameter estimates) for each subject in average space (which appear to be correct). I've run mri_concat to "compile" the subjects' results together, run mri_glmfit, and have resulting statistics that encompass the entire surface of the average.

Thanks,
Eric