You need to install the freeglut package that comes with Centos 5.
Try as root doing 'yum install freeglut'

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Andrew Ellison wrote:

Hi My Name is Andy Ellison and im Using (attempting) Freesurfer at Boston
University. Upon my first attempt to install freesurfer on Centos 5 (i
understand that the release was specific for Centos4 but unsure if it would
have an affect)  i received this error message

/usr/local/freesurfer/bin/tkmedit.bin: error while loading shared libraries:
libglut.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I read online another person had this problem so I commented out a small
line of code in the FreeSurferEnv.csh

source ${FSL_DIR}/etc/fslconf/fsl.csh

This had no effect so I am emailing you in hopes you know what i can
do. This is the
second time i had this issue, I had earlier thought it was a problem
with my installation
of FSL, but upon a total uninstall of centos5 and reinstall it still
is uncooperative, any
help would be really appreciated, thanks

Andy

Paul Raines                email: raines at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
MGH/MIT/HMS Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging
149 (2301) 13th Street     Charlestown, MA 02129            USA