one correction: FS does have Itanium version.
ftp://surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/pub/dist/freesurfer-Linux-suse-ia64-stable-pub-v4.0.1-full.tar.gz

So my guess for item (1) is check if all code running is for IA64 architecture.

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Pedro Paulo
Oliveira Jr
Sent: segunda-feira, 12 de novembro de 2007 06:23
To: Bruce Fischl
Cc: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu; Nicolas Cherbuin
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] reprocessing on FS4.0 takes much longer for some scans

I'm sure Bruce has much more experience on the subject than me. Also I'm not
part of Martinos development team.  I'll just add my personal experience:

1) Your running times seens very high. I never saw 72 hours in my studies.
Notice that Itanium (and Itanium 2) cpu are far distinct than x86 and x86-64,
and even running correctly x86 code its performance in fpu falls in my
experience to 50%. Since FS code is not compiled to Itanium arch I think the
stated above can explain the problem.

2) Regarding memory my experience is that 1GB usually does fine if you have
swap space.

3) about 3.0.5 and 4.0.1 differences in running time my data is: 22 hrs vs 31
hrs average. It depends on the "extended" topological fix 4.0.1 does.

It would be nice to know your cluster configuration and a sample of your data
to give you a better advice.

best regards,

Pedro Paulo Oliveira Jr.

-- mens. original --